Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: True Detective S2

Date:
True Detective S2

Epic roundhouse rant. I always get a kick out of shows that use that plot device as if the city they are in is maybe a 1 or 2 block radius and no escape is possible among, as CW said, a small set of police officers who are corrupt. JUST DRIVE AWAY! I suppose his face was plastered on TV, but maybe he could try a little bit less conspicuous of an outfit instead of a cowboy hat and a jean jacket when handling the initial business. And didn't they have MOUNTAINS of evidence that could have exonerated everyone involved? Just let a lawyer handle it and enter witness protection and this season never has to happen.

And why would Vaughn attack those guys?!?!?! They were clearly leaving him there and letting him live. Dumb, dumb dumb.

Thanks for the clarification on the other stuff. Must have been just one of the dozen or so times I zoned out watching this season.

-- Edited by WallyWorld on Tuesday 11th of August 2015 10:10:26 AM

#RIPFlip

Date:

Also I know you two specifically will appreciate this:

www.wired.com/2015/08/true-detective-impossible-road-trips/

#RIPFlip

Date:

WallyWorld wrote:

Epic roundhouse rant. I always get a kick out of shows that use that plot device as if the city they are in is maybe a 1 or 2 block radius and no escape is possible among, as CW said, a small set of police officers who are corrupt. JUST DRIVE AWAY! I suppose his face was plastered on TV, but maybe he could try a little bit less conspicuous of an outfit instead of a cowboy hat and a jean jacket when handling the initial business. And didn't they have MOUNTAINS of evidence that could have exonerated everyone involved? Just let a lawyer handle it and enter witness protection and this season never has to happen.

And why would Vaughn attack those guys?!?!?! They were clearly leaving him there and letting him live. Dumb, dumb dumb.

Thanks for the clarification on the other stuff. Must have been just one of the dozen or so times I zoned out watching this season.

-- Edited by WallyWorld on Tuesday 11th of August 2015 10:10:26 AM

He actually attacked that dude because he wanted his suit. He had just given those guys all the cash he had left (1 million), but remember, he cashed out $3.5 million of his cash for that bag of diamonds. And stupidly enough, the diamonds were in his suit pocket. So if he gave up his suit he would have lost everything he had.

So he actually didn't really have a choice there. Although, he could have tried to be smarter about keeping his suit instead of attacking the dude. 

Either way, still FAIL all-around.

Date:

Dear god, how obvious. I need to pay closer attention at times. Thank you.

#RIPFlip

Date:

WallyWorld wrote:

Dear god, how obvious. I need to pay closer attention at times. Thank you.

Lol, no worries! biggrin

Date:

Still though. It's not like that is something you kill yourself over, right? I don't know. We have probably overanalyzed it. Next season they should spend all of their budget on Brad Pitt, set it in rural Florida or a unique locale, and all may be redeemed.

#RIPFlip

Date:

Throw in some voodoo type crazy **** and yeah, I totally concur.

Date:

I have watched the first 3 episodes now and think it's been reasonably good. Not Season #1 good, but I've definitely been intrigued.

Farrell is solid and I like the dark, dreary, eerie, despair production quality it brings. There are a lot of things that almost remind me too much of Season #1 though, it's like can this writer only write one way (everyone is so messed up mentally, long monologues that I sometimes dig but sometimes seem so cliché, everyone smokes cigs constantly, everyone drinks hard booze constantly, all men are womanizers). I'm also having trouble seeing Vaughn as this troubled kingpin type, although he plays the paranoia card pretty well.

So far I like it overall, but unfortunately it sounds like it's downhill from here. I only read the 1st 2 pages of this thread, so I am fresh, but from everyone I have talked to it sounds like I may have already seen the best episodes of the season.

Date:

Good stuff. Thanks for checking in, and yes you are pretty spot on with all that.

Date:

If you are getting everything, than you should probably apply to be in Mensa or something. Congrats. With just 15 minutes of expository dialogue or scenes, it really would have been good. It all goes downhill after the legendary Stan scene.

#RIPFlip

Date:

WallyWorld wrote:

If you are getting everything, than you should probably apply to be in Mensa or something. Congrats. With just 15 minutes of expository dialogue or scenes, it really would have been good. It all goes downhill after the legendary Stan scene.

Hahahahahahahaha! But so true, sadly.

Date:

Well, I am 7/8ths of the way through it and still liking it overall. My criticisms are that it is too clichéd (hushed serious dialogue 98% of the time, straight hard booze drinking in every other scene, so many close calls where they inevitably get away just in time) and too hard to completely follow (too many character name drops and complexity to how everything ties together). But I think is has still been interesting, exciting, and the main characters have done a good job. Overall I like it, and find it addicting (every time we have sat down to watch an episode we watch at least one more). I guess according to you guys there must be something wrong with me. My girl, who was against watching it at all after hearing all of the critics, is into it too. Granted, we do have critcisms, but I still think it's been an intriguing season overall.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us