Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: The Tyus Jones Thread

Date:
The Tyus Jones Thread

Since Tyus Jones is the most heralded basketball recruit to come from Minnesota in about a decade, I thought I would start a thread on him.  C. Wolf and I watched him play live his Junior year of high school, and followed his high school career pretty closely.  He is Duke's starting PG as a freshman this year, and although being a Top 5 recruit in his class a few years back, he is currently #26 on Chad Ford's big board.

Date:

I make it a habit to never watch college ball until January at the earliest, but I made an exception for TYUS Jones's 1st big game last night. It was totally the tale of 2 halves.

In the 1st half he played almost the whole thing, but had 0 points on 1 shot and rarely went inside the 3 line or really did anything of value, aside from a couple of semi-nice passes. I couldn't have been less impressed. (Okafor looked like a huge stud, bytheway.)

Then in the 2nd half, he went 7-7 from the line, 2-2 from 3, and 4-4 from the field. Again, he rarely did much, but when he did decide to shoot or drive it was flawless every single time. Really weird game. I can't decide if he is undersized and underathletic and generally a non-factor who just got lucky with perfect accuracy on the few times he was aggressive, or if he is a basketball genius that knows exactly how to pick his spots, run a team, and do whatever is needed for his team to win. I'm serious. After last night, I really have no idea.

-- Edited by BonK on Wednesday 19th of November 2014 12:08:34 PM

Date:

BonK wrote:

I make it a habit to never watch college ball until January at the earliest, but I made an exception for TYUS Jones's 1st big game last night. It was totally the tale of 2 halves.

In the 1st half he played almost the whole thing, but had 0 points on 1 shot and rarely went inside the 3 line or really did anything of value, aside from a couple of semi-nice passes. I couldn't have been less impressed. (Okafor looked like a huge stud, bytheway.)

Then in the 2nd half, he went 7-7 from the line, 2-2 from 3, and 4-4 from the field. Again, he rarely did much, but when he did decide to shoot or drive it was flawless every single time. Really weird game. I can't decide if he is undersized and underathletic and generally a non-factor who just got lucky with perfect accuracy on the few times he was aggressive, or if he is a basketball genius that knows exactly how to pick his spots, run a team, and do whatever is needed for his team to win. I'm serious. After last night, I really have no idea.

-- Edited by BonK on Wednesday 19th of November 2014 12:08:34 PM

This is legit. I too shall follow the kid. 

Date:

Did anybody see the boy TYUS tearing up the biggest college bball game of the season so far last night?! WOW. He was fantastic. 22 - 6 - 4 with only 4 missed shots and 1 turnover.

Picking his spots, always in control...efficient...skilled...seemingly without a weakness. Bullet #3 in this article sums it up well: grantland.com/the-triangle/we-went-there-wisconsin-duke-at-the-kohl-center-jahlil-okafor-sam-dekker-frank-kaminsky-tyus-jones-ncaa-basketball/

Remember a few weeks ago when I said I couldn't decide if he was an undersized and in over his head PG or a master at picking his spots with the ultimate professionalism, leadership, and efficiency? He is the latter.

espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3135046/tyus-jones

Date:

Well he can't come out next year due to the new draft changes right?

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

Date:

Reading this reminded me of the Randy Moss rookie season when we discovered that Randy "wants to play" when the big lights come on.

Jones posted a career-high 22 points in Duke’s 79-65 win over Pittsburgh on Monday, but if you’ve been paying close attention, the big game wasn’t a surprise. According to statistics compiled by the Duke Chronicle, in eight nationally televised games Jones is averaging 14.6 points on 49.2 percent shooting from the field, 41.4 percent shooting from three-point range and 91.8 percent free-throw shooting. In games that aren’t on national TV? Those averages drop to 6.5 points, 34 percent from the field, 30 percent on threes and 78.8 percent on free throws.

Date:

Wow, that is an interesting stat. Such a major difference, it's almost hard to believe. Young TYUS seems mature beyond his years and ready to rise to the challenge when it is needed most. Those 49/41/92 percentages are nice for a freshman PG.

Date:

That's an NBA player, for sure! He nice

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

So UNC hosted Duke in a big college game on Saturday night. It looks like Yung TYUS dominated, to the tune of 24 points, 6 boards, 7 assists, and 3 steals, on 5 total missed shots. STUD.

He is averaging 12/4/6 on the season as the floor general of a top 5 team in the country (and 3 steals per in his last 5 games too). I am excited to watch him perform in the tourney (along with future Wolf Okafor).

espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/3135046/tyus-jones

Date:

STUD! CHAMP! MOST OUTSTANDING PLAYER OF THE FINAL FOUR!!! Nineteen points in the 2nd half of the biggest college hoops game of the year!

Date:

#1 DRAFT PICK. MN in this bi tch. First this guy tried to tell me MN never produced no good rappers then he came at me that we can't hoop...Brother Ali, Atmosphere, POS, all of Doomtree, Kris Humpty Dumphries, Alan Anderson, Khalid el-Amin, Tyus Jones. get it.

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

Ladies and Gentlemen.... WE GOT HIM

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us