Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Kobe ain't dead and neither am I!

Date:
Kobe ain't dead and neither am I!

Aloha!  Mele Kalikima!

How are all of you!

Me?  I'm still here and almost back to my abnormal self!

Been thinking about getting back to this site for all season now and finally put it in gear.  Obviously, I didn't have much to crow about.  However, I was just watching the second half of Lakers @ Nuggets and wanted to share a couple of thoughts.  

Lakers were down 13 or so at the half and came out in the 3rd to outscore Denver 32-16!  My biggest takeaway from the 2nd half - Kobe is having fun!

I know that several of you don't have a great deal of fondness for Bryant, but you cannot deny his achievements.  His career stats are nearly incomparable.  As I have understood for many years now, Kobe set standards and goals for himself.  In my humble estimation, he has done a pretty fine job of accomplishing all he set out to do.

Before the beginning of the season and during the first several weeks, the conjecture was that Kobe MIGHT come back for one more season.  Seriously, the Lakers projected to be even worse this season than last (thank God for the 76ers!).  They had no real threat in the middle or at PF.  Yeah, Randle looks like he might be pretty good - given time - but he is still trying to figure it all out.  MWP should be able to help him out with the "tough guy" sort of attitude and Randle has some tools.  However, as was shown in the 4th tonight, he has a little more recovery, probably mostly mental, to go before he starts to just ball!  

You could see, in the 2nd half, exactly how comfortable Kobe is in his own skin.  When I heard his postgame comments earlier this season, I was struck by how mature Kobe has become.  Of course, that's from my perspective of being 30 years or so his senior.  We tend to forget, due to his longevity in the NBA, that Kobe was drafted at 17-18 years old.  He and Derek Fisher spent their first year together on the Lakers' roster at the far end of the bench.  As a pair of starting guards, they were fairly effective.

The other thing is that Kobe is an inspiration and a decent role model for Clarkson, Williams, Nance and Randle.  Kobe has been in the league since about the time they were born or were still in diapers and, maybe, not even walking yet.  

Well, that's enough of that, gentlemen!  I want to thank all of you who took the time to offer your encouragement and best wishes over the past couple of years.  It has been a very interesting 24 months!  LOL!

Finally . . . 

Mele Kalikimaka!

Jeff

Attachments

Date:

Merry P, glad you're ok ol buddy!

NO to the basketball content of your post. Disagree with everything.

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

What up Merry P! Good to hear from you. What is Mele Kalikima, Merry Christmas in Hawaiiain?

Sweet pics. Kobe has been playing better lately, he's still not even in the same conversation as KG or Duncan mentor-wise though. And all this is Kobe in the Top 10 debate is ridiculous in my book...I say absolutely not.

Anyway, good to see a post from you, and always envious when I hear about that beach life!

Date:

Hahahahaha awesome.

Whatta STUD.

Date:

LOL! DFS!  Missed you, too!  Happy Holidays!

Date:

Mahalo, Bonk!  (That's Hawaiian for "Thank you!" and "Mele Kalikimaka" is Hawaiian for Merry Christmas!)  Yeah, been a bit of a battle over the past 18-24 months, but I am much better now.

Date:

Appreciate the comment, CW!  You have no idea how good it is to be back!  LOL!  Actually, the worst of the ordeal was my February (mis-)adventure.  I was in another reality for about 10 days.  At one time, I thought I was in a remake of "Roger Rabbit" and chasing Jessica around Toon Town.  Shortly later, I saw the local girl versions of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum working in the nurses' station - dressed identically and moving in perfect synchronization!  When they got up and left the ward, they were walking in lockstep - left-left, right-right.  I walked up to a uniformed nurse, tapped her on the shoulder - she looked up, smiling sweetly and asked, "Can I help you?"  I responded, "So, you have Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum working on the ward, huh?"  Nurse: "What?"  Me:"Never mind!" as I spun on my heel and walked away.  It was at that moment that I knew the reality I was in was a bit different than that of those around me!  LOL!  In fact, I was just beginning to realize that there was anyone around me!

When I returned to Kona in early March, after three weeks in several hospitals, people would ask what had happened in Feb.  Me: "I don't know - I wasn't there!"  LOL!

Got to keep one's sense of humor about these things, ya know?

Merry Christmas!

Date:

Love it! (Not the fact that you were in the hospital, but the way you tell these great stories and keep your sense of humor)

Mele Kalikimaka to you too my friend!

Date:

Thanks, Bonk!  Yes, I think - and others agree - that my sense of humor was one of the things that helped me through the medical adventures of the past two years.  I counsel people all the time about how important it is to maintain a sense of humor especially when adversity is staring you in the face.  I tell them, "Stare right back and start laughing!  Adversity hates to be laughed at, but there isn't a damn thing adversity can do about it!"

Like the band Wet Willie sang years ago, "Keep smilin' throught the rain . . . laughin' at the pain . . . just keep on smilin'"

A very Merry Christmas to you and all the rest of the T-Wolves' crew here!

Jeff

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us