Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Current NBA Head Coaches - Power Rankings

Date:
Current NBA Head Coaches - Power Rankings

I'm basically basing this on how good I think they are overall. Like if I could choose anyone to take over my favorite team for a season, in what order would I choose them.  I'm only using current coaches, so at least 2 guys I would have otherwise included (Jeff Van Gundy, Tibbs, McHale?, DaddyFatSax Fisher) aren't gonna be on this list.

1. Greg Popovich

2. Rick Carlisle

3. Steve Kerr

4. Brad Stevens

5. Erik Spoelstra

6. Stan Van Gundy

7. Quinn Snyder

8. Frank Vogel

9. Jason Kidd

10. Mike Budenholzer/Brett Brown/Steve Clifford/Mike Malone/Terry Stotts (the rest of the above average coaches, IMO)

I'd love to see your guys' list, and any remarks...

Date:

Great discussion here!

Date:

Sorry, takes a lot of thought. I'll think about it tonight/tomorrow!

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

Sidney Lowe should trump everyone. I think you have it down. I would put Stotts and Clifford into that top 10 and above Kidd, Snyder and Vogel for sure. Those guys are good NBA coaches and both should contend for COY. Stotts is a young Carslile. As is Stevens. Spo....might be a touch overrated but he has the it factor for a coach. You just know he is doing smart things behind the scenes instead of a 4th quarter game plan of isolating Wiggins and everyone else clearing out. Eh. It makes me so mad Mitchell is going to coach this team for probably at least two more years. Aspire for better.

#RIPFlip

Date:

oh yea, I forgot about this! I'll do it. I have lots of thoughts, which are all terrible but fun to type.

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

I think Luke Walton should be higher than Steve Kerr! :P

I also think Stotts should be higher...maybe even 6th since Stotts adapts a lot and SVG is just rebuilding his Orlando team and system. I would say for sure better than Quin and Kidd.

I would say Vogel is above Quinn too, but no doubt about it Quin is a keeper.

And it might be arguable that Karl should be on that list somewhere.

What about David Joerger and Doc ( the coach, not the GM )? I would say they are better than Brown and Malone.

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

Date:

Where does Thibby rank now?!

#RIPFlip

Date:

WallyWorld wrote:

Where does Thibby rank now?!

I'd say somewhere between 2-7!  Would you agree?

Date:

Id put him top 3-4. He is better than Stevens (right now), possibly better than Carlisle. Definitely better than Spoelstra. Kerr inhereted a HOF roster. I look for guys who have clearly overachieved.

#RIPFlip

Date:

1. Popovich
2. Thibs
3-∞ Everyone else

“I don’t focus on almost. In high school, I never dealt with the chick that almost wanted to go out with me.” 

Date:

1. Pops = GOAT

2. Rambis - basically 1b to Pops, the rhombus offense is nigh unstoppable

3. Carlisle

4. Thibs - could rank above Carlisle is he learns how not to work his players to death

5. Stevens - the next big thing?

6. Kerr - hard to rank, but he's clearly doing something right

Date:

damn, I forgot.

Top tier

1. Pops
  2. Carlisle
  3. Thibs
  4. J Kidd (Nobody will agree. But he is easily one of the most creative coaches, he moves on when his ideas are bad, and he is so young)

Top tier aspirations - Clearly decent coaches but we would just be guessing to try to rank them. Some are just ok, some are trying to move into the elite group. I put an asterisk next to the ones I think can become elite (just a guess)

• Stevens*
  • Stotts*
  • Clifford*
  • Budenholzer*
  • Mike Malone*
  • SVG*
  • Kerr*??? (I really don't know how good he is)
  • Frank Vogel*
  • Doc
  • Joerger*
  • Spoelstra
  • Skiles
  • Snyder
  • Scott Brooks

Meh or I have no idea

• Kenny Atkinson (Nets)
  • Hoiberg
  • Lue
  • Earl Watson
  • Luke Walton
  • Bickerstaff 
  • Gentry
  • Donovan
  • Brett Brown (Sixers fans seem to like him. He has the worst rosters every year and just sucks it up and does his job. Is he good?)

Should not be head coaches ever again

• Rambis
  • Dwayne Casey - Fire this dude. He is so run of the mill. Knows how to coach defense and has produced the most predictable mediocre team imaginable every year.

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us