Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Predicting the 2016 playoffs!

Date:
Predicting the 2016 playoffs!

Daddy - Congrats on the next step. That's great.

So things are getting interesting (though we all know it's a finals rematch but can at least try to create some drama). Do the Thunder have a legit shot to take down San Antonio? I say not so fast but it's nice to see things a bit tighter in the round among true contenders. Jonas and Whiteside both fall in Raptors Heat. Hard for me to see the Raptors pulling this one out but I wouldn't mind it mainly becuase I want Deng to come to Minnesota.

Lot's of chatter online about fans and media convincing themselves that Durant could come to Minnesota. Not seriously of course, but more as a token meeting. If they can secure one at least that is a pretty damn positive step by itself. He will stay for a year IMO but I wouldnt rule out San Antonio or Golden State if they can free up the cash.

#RIPFlip

Date:

Oh man I hope the Thunder beat the Spurs, that would be so great. It's not probable, but definitely possible!

Get the Raptors out of here. What a tragedy. Boring uncreative coach. Derozan is so trash and always has been. I'd much rather watch the Cavs sweep the Heat than the trash Raptors.

I really hope Durant stays in OKC. This superteam stuff ain't fun.

Watched Curry last night. Just stupid in OT. Amazing to watch. Though, it was as though the Blazers wanted him to go off, their defense was trash.

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

Sorry, but D. Wade has been the MVP of the Playoffs....I like how some people have called that the Best/Worst Series, because it's so true. 3 Overtime games out of 4, yet the quality of play is sorely lacking. The West is still so much better than the East, it's a fact. I could see Houston or Portland or healthy Memphis taking any of those East teams aside from Cleveland out. But back to the original point, D. Wade is playing like a Top 5 guy these playoffs, it's really impressing me.

Curry in OT last night was insane. What a treat. The end of that game was quite entertaining. That play where he showed crazysick handles in seemingly fast forward motion leading to a lazer dime to Draymond for a jam was my favorite. Curry is simply amazing.

That being said, I have a rant I need to go on sometime about how the quality of play from an entertainment perspective for me personally has gone down a lot in the last few years in this "modern era" of the NBA. Too many 3's, too much space, too little contact, too much replay, too many foul calls, and did I say too many 3's? I'd like to make a proper post about this sometime though so I will stop for now.

Guys that have impressed me in these playoffs: Paul George, Dwayne Wade, Lamarcus Aldrige, Dame Lillard, JR Swish's D, Klay Thompson's D, Bitchsmack Biyombo's D, Mason Plumlee, Jonas V, Jeremy Lin, Kent Bazemore, Steve Adams.

Guys that have not impressed in these playoffs: Anyone on the Rockets beside B-Eazy, the Spurs frontcourt athleticism, Any wings or guard on the Thunder not named Durant & Westbrook, 4 of the 5 Hawks starting 5 (not BazeGod) and their heart in general, NBA refs, NBA replay rules, the Raptors aside from their centers, whoever that Richardson guy is for the Heat that somehow gets regular minutes, the late game offense of the Raptors & the Blazers & the Hornets.

Date:

I like your impressed and not impressed lists. Good stuff.

I have loved watching old man Wade. Him and Deng have come out of nowhere to become their old selves. They've made adjustments that most players are too stupid or lazy to make.

I think you should put Dion Waters on your "impressed" list. His stats aren't amazing, but he has been consistent on offense and GREAT on defense (on ball). I follow him on D and he is making crisp decisions, bodying Kawhi and others up, challenging shots, etc. I had NO idea he had that in him. Roberson's D is actually very, very sound. But he is so terrible on offense that Dion's emergence on D makes him a good asset on the court.

I love how OKC's big are beating the sh it out of the Spurs big men. Duncan is a borderline liability, West can't hang, and Diaw is now an old fatty. The Spurs may still win but I'm proud of Kanter, Adams, Waters, etc. for rising up. I hope they win. They can hang with the Warriors (not saying they would win).

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

Good stuff. These playoffs went from afterthought to amazing quickly. This happens every season though.

I agree Bonk on the three stuff. I know I have been a loud critic of it as it pertains to the Wolves but that was moreso because the Popvichian guys who coached the team felt a long 2 was a better shot vs. me wantng them to shoot 40 a game. Those days are gone. I like that the Wolves are good at drawing free throws. This will continue. That said, NOTHING is worse than Hack-a.

This Spurs series is quite a surprise. Could still go either way. It is also humbling in a way. The Wolves have a long way to go. Even having two top 5-10 players in Westbrook/Durant with several decent supporting pieces has not been enough for OKC to win the West more than 1 time in 7-8 years or however long it has been.

#RIPFlip

Date:

Good stuff guys. I also cannot believe I neglected to include Ibaka on my Not Impressed list. What the hell has happened to him? Honestly, someone please enlighten me. It's like he has aged 30 years in 3 years or something, I'm perplexed. But he looks bad. Would you even consider him an above average defender anymore? He used to be a DPOY candidate!

Date:

BonK wrote:

Good stuff guys. I also cannot believe I neglected to include Ibaka on my Not Impressed list. What the hell has happened to him? Honestly, someone please enlighten me. It's like he has aged 30 years in 3 years or something, I'm perplexed. But he looks bad. Would you even consider him an above average defender anymore? He used to be a DPOY candidate!

Seems like big men who rely primarily on athleticism (opposed to position/footwork/technique guys) are an unpredictable thing. Remember how Ewing went from top of the league to washed out in like 2 years' time as his knees went out? Ewing had that fadeaway J but his footwork was never outstanding, once his knees started to go it went downhill. Same thing with Shawn Kemp.

With Serge, maybe it's something injury related, or maybe his mindset of being a "pick and pop" guy is distracting him from the interior toughness that made him so solid to begin with?

“I don’t focus on almost. In high school, I never dealt with the chick that almost wanted to go out with me.” 

Date:

Ewing might have been an odd choice for that, I don't know. Guys like Hakeem and Duncan and Divac always seem to peak in their 30s vs. guys like Kemp who hit the early 30s and don't know how to compete when they can't flat out jump over everyone. Does Ewing fit into either camp? In the late 80s and early 90s he was a rim-wrecker. He became more of a finesse player in the mid 90s but then his career tailed off sharply at the end.

“I don’t focus on almost. In high school, I never dealt with the chick that almost wanted to go out with me.” 

Date:

OKC fans also talk a lot about Ibaka. It seems everything you all say is true. Also, the offense has strangely just perpetually ignored him for two years straight making it so his confidence in himself as anything other than a catch and shoot guy is gone. Without elite athleticism now they should involve him more on offense because of his nice stroke. He should be playing a role similar to Kevin Love (in a reduced way). In fact, the Thunder should play him as a wing on offense periodically to space the floor and have Roberson crash the boards and cut to the hoop. It would make Roberson's defender guard him and it would more consistently bring Ibaka's defender out the lane.

I also think it's about time to make him the primary big on the floor to see how he handles that. The Durant/Ibaka front court used to be special but Adams' emergence has made them go away from it. I don't know, might be worth a look. Imagine a 1-8 matchup next year between the Thunda and Wolves. Why not match up against KAT and Dieng with Durant and Ibaka? I would be very weary of the Wolves ability to hang in that scenario.

What would it take to get him from the Thunder? Dieng and what else? Would that be worth it at that point?

Date:

I was wondering that myself. Does today's Ibaka outweigh tomorrow's Dieng and asset X? Is Ibaka the "prototypical 4" that the Wolves would need to fit in with Towns and Dieng in a solid 3 man frontcourt rotation? I was trying to think of guys that fit that bill and other than Millsap and Griffin, I am having a hard time coming up with someone. Maybe LaMarcus Aldridge? David West 5 years ago? Who am I missing? In spite of Kevin Love getting her groove back, I have a hard time throwing that name out there without vomiting in my mouth a little bit.

I like the potential for the Lakers kid (Randle) and he would be a solid guy to swing for if we had a chance without giving up the rim protection of Towns and Dieng. Fill in the bench with a bunch of journeymen who can shoot open 3s and big dudes that can rebound, set picks, hit an open midrange J and foul. The Stacy King/Scottie Williams/Big Dog Carr guys, forever criminally underrated.

-- Edited by wolfenstein on Wednesday 11th of May 2016 10:31:58 PM

Date:

Ibaka would be awesome with Towns. I'd love that.

Date:

Good points about Ibaka. Might be somewhat similar to what happened to Shawn Kemp and Amare Stoudamire, but on a smaller scale.

I like Daddy's idea of playing Ibaka outside on O more and Roberson as a cutter more. Roberson is like what Sefalosha was to them, except actually even a much worse offensive player (which is saying something).

Can you believe that Randy Righthand Foye is 1 win away from the Conference Finals? I can't either. I still say he's out of the league in 2 years. If I keep saying it, eventually it will come true (kind of like "This may be the very last time I will ever see Sid Hartmann in person at a Wolves game!").

Why would the Wolves need Ibaka when we have Adrien FatSax Payne? I don't see what the problem is. I guess if he doesn't pan out (doubtful) a couple names we could add to Wolfenstein's list would be Derrick Williams or Anthony Bennett. They seem like good talents that just need a fair chance.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us