Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: 2016 Offseason

Date:
2016 Offseason

Ummmm, Lavine's comp is JR SMITH. How'd we all miss that!?

-- Edited by DaddyFatSax on Tuesday 26th of April 2016 09:04:57 PM

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

I thought about Smith, but his mindset is soooo different. Zach passes and dribbles not in a straight line to the basket. JR jacks just about everything.

“I don’t focus on almost. In high school, I never dealt with the chick that almost wanted to go out with me.” 

Date:

I actually like the JR Smith comp, if we're talking about young JR Smith on the Hornets/Nuggets, before he went crazy. He had tons of potential and insane LaVine-esque athleticism/dunking ability back in the day.

Look at this stats comparison, they are eerily similar:

JR Smith/Lavine Comparison

The only thing that sticks out is that Lavine has a much higher Assist and Turnover %, most likely caued by all the time he's spent playing point guard.

-- Edited by roundhouse on Saturday 30th of April 2016 04:26:28 AM

Date:

I like that, good looking RH. Wolfenstein, I think you do JR Smith a disservice. He knows what he is doing. He is a fine team player, teammates like him, and he plays defense. Plus every now and then he throws down stupid dunks. Hoping for a more consistent JR Smith means Lavine would be putting up 20 points while playing good defense. That's an all star!

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

I didn't say JR doesn't know what he's doing. I don't know how he is as a teammate but I imagine I would hate to play with him if he played heavy minutes. He's a weapon on the court, basically: he does not pass and these days rarely goes to the basket and when he does it's a straight line. Program is 1. shot; 2. shot; 3. straight line drive to basket.

“I don’t focus on almost. In high school, I never dealt with the chick that almost wanted to go out with me.” 

Date:

Right now Zach would be really fun to play with, except that you'd have to keep in mind that he's young and makes mistakes and patience would be required. But he's talented, not particularly selfish, can do certain things that normal human beings just can't do. Seems interested in winning and has an idea of playing within a team concept. Can be left on the wing and can create usually decent shots for himself and for his teammates. Needs to work on defense but actually demonstrates effort there. I think he would be a fun wing to play with.

Date:

If you like to lose, sure. JR Smith is playing 30+ minutes on one of the best teams in the league and will be tasked with guarding the best wings much of the time. If you played with him you'd have a teammate who played fine team defense, hit open shots at a good rate, and doesn't ruin chemistry. You have irrational hate for him because he does dumb shyt off the court, talks shyt, drives a tank, and.... I'll leave the last part out.

Date:

DaddyFatSax wrote:

If you like to lose, sure. JR Smith is playing 30+ minutes on one of the best teams in the league and will be tasked with guarding the best wings much of the time. If you played with him you'd have a teammate who played fine team defense, hit open shots at a good rate, and doesn't ruin chemistry. You have irrational hate for him because he does dumb shyt off the court, talks shyt, drives a tank, and.... I'll leave the last part out.

Out of curiosity, what's the last part supposed to mean? Is it the tattoos? That's possibly a legit claim, I don't like Beasley much either. Although he had cornrows. Birdman is also on the list as a tattooed player I don't like, and he and Smith both have (had?) mohawks, that could be why I don't like those guys. And I didn't like Spree, or Ricky Buckets. More inconclusive tattoo + cornrow evidence. I did cool off on Iverson once he got into the cornrows, I liked him plenty at Georgetown though and I think he had tattoos in college. AI was a high volume chucker like Smith although he dribbled the air out of the ball too, and was extremely talented as in much better than JR Smith if we're being honest with ourselves. Kawhi I like, and he's a guy that shares the ball and still gets his own when the team needs it, and he has both tattoos and cornrows- so I don't know. Also- related- did you see Wiggins sporting the cornrows last week? wink I kind of like the look on Wiggins, it's a throwback thing.

Anyway, I don't know much of anything about JR Smith off the court. I didn't know he was a particularly bad sh*t talker either, I wouldn't peg him for someone in the same category as, say, Matt Barnes... speaking of, another tattoos guy I rationally or irrationally don't like.

Pretty much what I know of JR Smith is what I've seen of him on the court which is a guy who moves without the ball, doesn't put the ball on the deck much, and pretty much has no conscience when it comes to jacking shots. It works for some guys. It obviously works for him.

If he was on my team I'd probably try to feed him open shots all game but it's tough because if you don't involve other guys then they won't D up so it becomes one more thing to keep track of. Also little things like how many guys are in rebounding position before you pass him the ball because you know he isn't thinking about that when he receives the ball, he's probably already thinking about putting the shot up. So it can be high maintenance and unless a guy is *really* good it can be a bummer to play with that type of player because that type of shoot everything mentality tends to be contagious on the court because you don't know when the next time you'll see the ball will be. And Smith is really good, so maybe what I should have said is that I don't like playing with guys that think of the game that way, maybe I'd like playing with him. In the NBA he's not so much better than everyone else that you need to deal with that. He's just another guy that can hit a lot of shots.

I am not sure I agree with you that he doesn't ruin chemistry, maybe I'll change my mind if I have a chance to watch the Cavs this year. I generally avoid watching the Cavs because now that he's not a Timberwolf, Kevin Love is pretty much my least favorite player ever. Course, if the Cavs have shytty chemistry it could just be Kevin Love being Kevin Love. Or Tyronn Lue, another cornrows guy.

As for D, Smith's never appeared to me to be peculiarly good or particularly bad on defense, if you just asked me out of the blue I would have guessed somewhere in the middle. He's better than Zach is right now on D probably, Zach's gotten worked pretty bad the last year or so.

Bottom line, mostly I just don't think I like the way JR Smith plays. But sure, he's objectively a very good player, considering he's been successful in the NBA for a long time. But I irrationally dislike him, along with Kobe, Shaq, Luc Longley, and Patrick Ewing.

-- Edited by wolfenstein on Monday 2nd of May 2016 06:56:33 PM

-- Edited by wolfenstein on Monday 2nd of May 2016 06:58:53 PM

Date:

I left out Braid Miller and Delonte in my list of cornrow guys. Couldn't stand either of them. I actually did like Sheed in cornrows. And I like Steve Nash but most definitely did not like Steve Nash in cornrows.

Date:

I have 2 comments to add to this odd page of Lavine/JR Smith/hair monologues...

#1: When I initially read Daddy's post lauding JR Swish as a good defender, I was surprised. I assumed that he was a subpar defender; probably because of the way he plays offense and the fact that he is very streaky, and pretty "spacy" and one dimensional on O. But wow, I watched the whole ATL/Cavs game last night and his D was smothering. He was on Korver almost the entire time, and Korver got off 1 shot attempt in 30some minutes, and 3 points, all off of one foul. And they were running action to get him open all of the time. Color be impressed. Korver couldn't do anything. I was really surprised by the job JR did on him, and the way that he did it (consistently and relentlessly).

Speaking of Korver, can you believe he was an all-star? What a travesty. That's almost as bad as Mitch Richmond getting inducted into the basketball hall of fame. Korver is, and always has been, a one trick pony.

#2: The cornrow talk got me to thinking, has there ever been a head coach in the NBA with corn rows? I bet there hasn't. Ty Lue could've been the first, he needs to bring em back! I like corn rows, Wiggins' are sweet.

PS - Thoughts on the OKC/Spurs game? The ending? Wowowowow. My guy C-Webb was going OFF!

-- Edited by BonK on Tuesday 3rd of May 2016 02:37:34 PM

Date:

Yup, good ol' "Old white man" prejudice from Wolfenstein. I'm happy to see you quasi-admit it.

Chris Webber sounded stupid. There are probably 10 non calls in the last couple minutes that would swing the game either way. That's the NBA. Maybe don't get your a$$ beat for 46 minutes and you won't have to worry about it Spurs. That team is so fycking dirty and physical. They get away with so much because "Spurs." Karma sucks.

Date:

Other than LMA and Manu the spurs played really bad and still only lost by 1, if I was the Thunder I wouldn't pat myself on the back.

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

«First  <  1 2 3 4 512  >  Last»  | Page of 12  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us