Post Info TOPIC: 2016 Offseason

Date:
2016 Offseason

#5 for Butler. Would you? YES
#5 + Lavine for Butler. Would you? YES
#5 + Lavine + Dieng for Butler. Would you? YES
Wiggins for Butler. Would you? NO
#5 + Wiggins for Butler. Would you? NO

I would trade a lot for Butler. Hard as it may seem, it would be worth it. The idea is to pair him with Wiggins, not replace Wiggins. Trading Wiggins for Butler would be a giant mistake. It would have short term dividends because Butler is much better than Wiggins is today (and honestly Wig may never be as good as Butler) but the hope is that Thibs can sorta/maybe help Wiggins get to the level of Butler over the next two seasons. You have to balance short and long term and Butler, as awesome as he is, has a few seasons left of prime and is already banged up.

Been a while since I checked in due to vaca last week. Things are sooooo quiet now. It's hard to believe it is draft week already, there is practically zero hype.

I find the following odd: all of Thib's preferred coaching candidates have stayed put or gone elsewhere and they haven't hired anyone to join the front office since firing anyone. What's up there? A bit odd. Certainly different.

-- Edited by WallyWorld on Monday 20th of June 2016 11:54:15 AM

#RIPFlip

Date:

WallyWorld wrote:

#5 for Butler. Would you? YES
#5 + Lavine for Butler. Would you? YES
#5 + Lavine + Dieng for Butler. Would you? YES
Wiggins for Butler. Would you? NO
#5 + Wiggins for Butler. Would you? NO

I would trade a lot for Butler. Hard as it may seem, it would be worth it. The idea is to pair him with Wiggins, not replace Wiggins. Trading Wiggins for Butler would be a giant mistake. It would have short term dividends because Butler is much better than Wiggins is today (and honestly Wig may never be as good as Butler) but the hope is that Thibs can sorta/maybe help Wiggins get to the level of Butler over the next two seasons. You have to balance short and long term and Butler, as awesome as he is, has a few seasons left of prime and is already banged up.

Been a while since I checked in due to vaca last week. Things are sooooo quiet now. It's hard to believe it is draft week already, there is practically zero hype.

I find the following odd: all of Thib's preferred coaching candidates have stayed put or gone elsewhere and they haven't hired anyone to join the front office since firing anyone. What's up there? A bit odd. Certainly different.

-- Edited by WallyWorld on Monday 20th of June 2016 11:54:15 AM

Your logic is sound, for sure. 

When will Thibs unveil his top assistant to be Sheed Wallace? It must be done. 

I know so little about this draft that I can't make an educated argument for any of these dudes. Trade it for an established player. The Butler trade is not happening, so hopefully there is a legitimate trade for Thibs out there. 

How about the Warriors need a big man like Dieng so sign and trade Harrison Barnes for Dieng? He ain't getting anything close to a max now, right?

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

Here is where my nerd hat goes on with the sign and trade stuff and even the Butler deal: you want to upgrade the team during the draft while also maintaining cap room while you have it (they soon will not due to various extensions which are now 22 million a year maximum for guys off rookie deals). it sounds absurd, but Dieng will soon be a $15 million+ per season player. It'll take a long time to wrap our heads around the new cap.

I agree the Butler trade is not happening simply due to politics. But let's say it did and LaVine and Dieng were moved for Butler. Suddenly you lose about 10 million in cap room with that deal while losing 2 rotation roster spots for a bench that was already terrible. Depth has long been an issue for Thibs' teams, leading to overtaxing the players and relying too much on exhausted and injured starters to close out games.

Similar deal with Harry Barnes only way worse. Dieng at 2 million for Harry Barnes at a 22 million dollar max deal leaves the Wolves with about 7 mil in room to build a bench. Not a great look unless you have a bunch of other stuff to trade, which the Wolves do not thanks to horrible trades like the Thaddeus Young, Payne, and Wesley Johnson trades.

Trading for a vet remains intriguing but I just don't see what they could do there and there is zero buzz on the subject. The only idea I could really think of was a Faried deal, everything else involving bench types can just be solved in free agency with $27 million in cap room. They dont need to move the 5th pick to round out the bench when they can do that in free agency. Trade only for a difference maker you couldn't otherwise sign.

#RIPFlip

Date:

You don't need a bench to be a 7th seed! Here you go with championship aspirations. I don't think that far. Just get to the 8th seed and I'm happy. Depth is for winners.

I really do think the Wolves could package ShaBEAST with the 5 for a good player because ShaBEAST has got to have some value around the league.

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

More Rubio rumors

www.libertyballers.com/2016/6/23/12015058/nba-trade-rumors-sixers-ricky-rubio-timberwolves-point-guard

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

Date:

Here comes the Lavine for Taj Gibson rumors! I might consider the trade for Shabazz, but not Zach! Zach's ceiling is too high and he is already working his ass off during the offseason. Heck I think Gorgui is better than Taj at PF at this point.

stats.nba.com/vs/#!/?PlayerID=203476&VsPlayerID=201959

-- Edited by cycosurgeon on Tuesday 28th of June 2016 05:35:12 PM

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

Date:

Not a chance that are trading Zach for Taj Gibson. By the way can we get some sort of validation that Thibs is interested in anyone other than former Bulls he once coached?

I wish free agency would just start. Get on with it.

Any thoughts on who the Wolves should sign? I think they have a shot at a Noah/Deng/Gordon/Ryan Anderson level guy. Of those 4 I would go with Ryan Anderson for sure and I am actually interested in it happening now.
1. Shooting
2. Relative to the others his health is ok, but still a red flag
3. Fills a VERY GLARING need (PF)

Man. It's going to be NUTS when these salaries hit the airwaves. It would not surprise me one bit if Ryan Anderson's salary ends up being 20 million per season,

#RIPFlip

Date:

Yeah, Ryan Anderson is going to make a butt ton of cash. Not sure I want him for a semi max contract and with too many years on it. I think Teletovic might be cheaper and will take a shorter contract and at times he is just as hot from outside as Ryan Anderson. I think a guy like Trevor Booker could be a good fit for Thibs system, but he wouldn't be a the spacer shooter we would need. But then again isn't KAT at the top of the foul line 3 pt line the space creator a lot of the times after Rubio drives and dishes to him? Plus Booker would be the team enforcer since we have none at the moment unless you count KG's trash talking! :P

I think a guy like Gerald Henderson would also help. Plus interestingly enough, Zach and Jamal Crawford have the Seattle connection going, so maybe that is a possibility! and Arron Affalo could also be interesting guy to check out! 3 and D!

Honestly the Free Agent class this year isn't so hot especially since they will make a killing when it comes to cash and I think a lot of them will want long contracts since they are afraid teams will smarten up fast on the new cap and player actual value.

I would also really like to get Noah, but I feel like since DRose went to the Knicks they are the leading candidate now for his services. I would love if he did come here. I wanted to draft him instead of Goaty that year. Would justify my armchairness!

Not sure how I feel about Eric Gordan, he still has that damaged goods feel about him, I was never super impressed with him even pre-injury. For a decent deal I wouldn't feel bad about it.

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

Date:

I liked a lot of those names that Cyco dropped. I think guys like Gerald, Afflalo, Booker are probably the type of dudes the Wolves will end up getting. I guess I can't decide what the strategy I like best here is. There aren't a lot of upper tier free agents out there, so maybe you sign role players, try to have a .500 team that features all of your young guns, and then go for a bigger free agent next year to really put you over the top? But I admittedly have no idea if the FA's next year are more numbered and desirable than the FA's this year or not.

I like the 3 dudes I mentioned above...I don't trust Eric Gordon though. I do love Noah, but fear that he will go for a max somewhere else. OH yeah, I like Teletovic too. I am disappointed that I have not heard more actual names tied to the TWolves as far as free agent rumors go. I have heard all of Thibs former guys and pretty much nothing else. Where are all of the rumors??

Not trading tRicky is probably my highest priority for this offseason...that or figuring out a way to get Jim Butler (probably not even possible, I really doubt the Bulls will trade with Thibs new team; all this Jim Butler stuff has likely been a huge waste of time and print).

Date:

2016, 2017 and 2018 free agents

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/

&

www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2017/ufa/

&

www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2018/ufa/

Both years look much better than this year, that is why I am hoping we don't shoot our load too early!

-- Edited by cycosurgeon on Wednesday 29th of June 2016 01:45:32 PM

-- Edited by cycosurgeon on Wednesday 29th of June 2016 01:47:19 PM

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

Date:

Couple PF names that are semi interesting to the Twolves since KAT is a stretch 5 with point guard skills is NENE and Bradon Bass, if gotten for a short contract and not super expensive might be good stop gap guys for a couple years who have playoff experience. Granted NENE is hurt/sissy a lot but might be interesting fit.

For Flip! RIP Them Up!

4Flip Them The Bird!

Date:

What about Batum? He nearly already was here once. And he's extremly versatile. Probably he is too expensive...

«First  <  1 2 3 4 5 6 712  >  Last»  | Page of 12  sorted by

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us