Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: The Big Ticket called it quits

Date:
The Big Ticket called it quits

Right. So much of the KG stuff is rooted in nostalgia. Many of us started following the Wolves, or even basketball in the first place, because of the guy. Towns could be better than KG, have a more prolific and successful overall career than him, but there will never be the same child-like endearment to Garnett for at least the 30-something age group. You can never replace watching grainy old Wolves games on a standard definition tube TV on MSC when its 10 below and you have middle school homework to do, or having to actually be driven to Target center in bumper to bumper to go to a game with the folks. He is the Kirby Puckett to Minnesota Millennials.

This is why his 5 game return season in 2015 was so awe-inspiring. Part of me wishes that would have been it. That first night back it was as if all of the damn figures of the past regrouped at that destitute arena. KG got to play for Flip again, and Flip got to coach KG again, one last time before he passed. If that isn't some f*cked up Field of Dreams craziness, or a "storybook" ending people thought was missing from his sudden retirement, I don't know what is.

The Wolves are still a great hobby. I try to catch every game and will do so until I can no longer, but it's nuts to think about how much impact KG had back then. It won't be the same.

Side note: I'll bet he plays again this year for the Clips or Cavs.

-- Edited by WallyWorld on Friday 30th of September 2016 02:15:20 PM

#RIPFlip

Date:

Sad to see you go KG first Duncan now KG to legends, who i always enjoyed watching....I loved watchin you with the t-wolves...Being a diehard Yankee fan you in boston never was tottally cool with me, but when you came back to minny i forgave you.....

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us