Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: So... Big Gulps huh?

Date:
So... Big Gulps huh?

Man this board is quiet.

I haven't been watching the games, having cut my cable last summer to focus on the mini-Wolfensteins and Mrs. Wolfenstein. Is Rubio really playing as poorly as people say? 2/9 FG is not great shooting but 6:1 Ast:TO ratio is pretty good and the +/- thing still favors Rubio. Are Thib's rotations screwing with Rubio's mind? Does he get run at the end of games? WTF is up with the 2nd half collapses? I'm very confused, I thought Thibs was supposed to be a good game time coach but it seems like mid-game adjustments are terrible.

“I don’t focus on almost. In high school, I never dealt with the chick that almost wanted to go out with me.” 

Date:

As a team they have just been horrible in big spurts at "the little things". Making the extra pass. Team defense. Taking advantage of fast breaks. Taking care of the ball. Hustling back on D.

They look like an AAU team out there much of the time. Hero ball. One on one. Actually one on two way too regularly.

Then a game like at Charlotte last Saturday they actually all do the little things on O and D and boom...they win a road game v. a good team. But the consistency of that type of play has been non-existent. And it's not cuz Thibs isn't preaching it...he is CONSTANTLY yelling. I can't not hear it on the telecasts now. I wonder if it is too much though. Taking the fun out of it, micromanagey, and wearing. Anyway, that's my 2 cents on the state of the squad right now from a team standpoint.

Let's Make TWolvesBlog Great Again.

Date:

"Let's Make TWolvesBlog Great Again" - If the day comes when the team is watchable, sure. I have nothing to post because the team is not interesting. Bonk's assessment of everything in his last couple posts sums it up.

Sam Mitchell's loud ass. Talk all the goddamn time. Clownin Sam... THE GREAT SAM MITCHELL... A man's man, if you know what that means. Wears cologne. All that good shit. No nonsense....Tom Hammonds, Terry Porter, Doug West, these are all hitters!  - KG

Date:

DaddyFatSax wrote:

"Let's Make TWolvesBlog Great Again" - If the day comes when the team is watchable, sure. I have nothing to post because the team is not interesting. Bonk's assessment of everything in his last couple posts sums it up.

Never stopped us from posting in the past... Have we all run out of HOPE?

“I don’t focus on almost. In high school, I never dealt with the chick that almost wanted to go out with me.” 

Date:

Yeah "It'll get better" of course but concerns remain and I don't think people should be so willing to give the group a free pass:

1. I want last year Towns back. This should not be the case for a 21 year old who is supposed to be a rich man's, non-injured Chris Webber. I really, really miss the pick and pop. It defined his rookie year and was a huge reason why he was so effective. Yes, Bonk, the guy who hates mid range J's wants more Towns midrange J's. It's the awful Wiggins contested pullups that we need to eliminate. Towns was always the lone exception. Dude shot like 50% and could get open at any time. I also want him to start playing defense, especially help defense. Let Thibs spazz over the refs and get your entitled @ss back on D. Overall I'm just very disappointed in Towns. Maturity issues are OBVIOUS and at this juncture he is reminding me A LOT of Kevin Love and that horrifies me. YES, Wolfenstein, there is a f*cking millennium for this to improve and it very likely will. But it still sucks right now.

2. Lavine: no real qualms. He has surpassed all expectations I have ever had for him so he gets a permanent pass. He is playing smarter, his shot selection has improved dramatically. He has a lot of fight. I remain a fan.

3. Wiggins: At a certain point we have to address that Wiggins is a lot closer to Rudy Gay than Kevin Durant and this feels less likely to change as time goes on. This isn't a catastrophe, but he is very overrated RIGHT NOW. He is a fine rotation player, but I'm not sure he is this KD clone. At this point, if an opportunity for a major splash came about, I would at minimum entertain the idea of moving him depending on the haul. This take is probably terrible/reactionary.

4. Sign a f*cking functional backup wing. Brandon Rush was a joke signing and is hurt yet again. Just make a move. There is zero reason for Payne, Hill, Pek, Lucas to be on the active roster. Also, Tyus deserves tick.

5. I'm not sure whether Thibs is actually serious or whether all of his sideline theatrics are a deliberate effort to get the players to grow up quicker and get tougher sooner, but it's probably mostly the latter. The dude is flailing like a lunatic after every single mistake and it very clearly is detrimental to on court performance and concentration. The minutes and the consistent 14-16 minute stretches and 40 minute nights are also an issue that impacts end of game fatigue, without question. His behavior will probably be best in the long-run in terms of weeding out some of the apples, but holy smokes can you just relax and let your team play for like 10 seconds? Those who were against the hire (not me) have a lot of ammo right now. No one questions his chops or work ethic (both top 99 percentile), but the argument that he was best for an established team looks awfully accurate right now. As always, it will take another 40-50 games to draw a more formal conclusion on him but, man, RELAX. It isn't helping.

I wish the cynical weren't always spot on with this team. I just want to experience how much fun Ricky's (another elephant in the room, he has been terrible this year) rookie year was again. My interest in this team has never been lower. What a sad state of affairs (yes, that will get better).

-- Edited by WallyWorld on Friday 9th of December 2016 01:32:31 PM

#RIPFlip

Date:

This was an A+ Post by WallyWorld. I really enjoyed reading it on Friday, and after watching 2 more complete collapses in the 2nd half over the weekend, everything rings as true as ever.

Agree on Towns. That's been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I am pretty shocked at how bad his defense is. Not average, not adequate, but straight up bad a vast majority of the time. A lot of it comes down to effort and attention to detail. He isn't looking like KG's protégé to me on the defensive end, that's for damn sure. Offensively, the team is not utilizing his double teams. Literally feed KAT down low to start at least half of the half court possessions...let him go 1 on 1, and if they double play off of that to the open shot or lane. It's not that complicated.

Lavine I agree with you on. I never would have thought Lavine would be My Guy, but here we are. He's my fave Wolf aside from my biased love for TYUS and tRicky. I think he is a leader in the making too. I don't know if Wiggins is.

Is Jordan Hill so bad that he never plays for what is the deal with him, why the hell is he even here? B-Rush looks totally washed. ShaBeast is a black hole tunnel vision player shooting 32%. Dunn, Aldrich, B-Boy, and IMO TYUS are the only bench guys worth anything this year. I've lost all hope for Payne and pretty much Shabazz at this point.

Your point #5 about Thibs is a big one. I really think this could be harming things in a lot of ways. Does it look fun for these guys to play out there with the CONSTANT yelling and micromanagement? I could understand the constant yelling on D, I really could. But on offense? On every possession? Telling guys when to roll and where to pass it and go, non-stop, game after game.... man. Seems like these guys are not enjoying it, still not playing together consistently...this start (aside from an injury) is worse than anyone would've even imagined. Considering we've been healthy? Wow.

Also, WHY IS THIS TEAM PLAYING SO SLOW?? I watched a ton of games on league pass this weekend, and basically everyone plays faster than us. Portland, Indiana, Milwaukee, Washington, Lakers, Kings, Spurs...they are all playing faster than us. But guess what? We are younger and more athletic than any of them. We have the tools to fast break as much as any team in the whole league. With KAT as our center, Wiggins and Lavine as our wings, tRicky/Dunn/Tyus at our PGs, are you kidding me this team was made to fast break. But we don't. It's pathetic. It's sad. It's a total waste.

Only Dallas has a worse record than us. That will change by the end of this week. It is THAT BAD right now. Are there any homers out there still saying "they are young" "give them time" or any of that crap? I sure hope not. I only go here and on twitter with a little bit of Reddit mixed in for all my Wolves stuff, so I don't know what the other sites are saying. Hopefully WE can have some more discussion on it though. I know it will get better, or at least it should. But right now it is so bad and I don't think there is any reason for us to mince words. A dozen years of "patience" preaching, I'm over it.

Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us